Monday, October 09, 2006

On Orientation (Gregynog)

On Friday, after I left the room, I was caught in the rain again on my way to school. So i was pretty much drenched when I reached. I basically knew no one, and I just sat at the first available seat next to someone who didnt refuse me. It was pretty much a smooth journey. We stopped halfway for lunch, and there was this Londoner Daniel, I met on day 1 who did not have cash, so i lent him , and thus he followed me around! We had fish and chips.

When we reached Gregynog, another guy from london who I had met on the first computer lesson weeks ago was standing alone. I asked him if he would share a room, and he said ok, and so I had a room-mate! This guy is called Jonathan. He pretty much kept to himself as well, so I guess we made a good pair.

There were lectures on the rebuiding of Ground Zero, rather interesting. Dinner followed, and it was during these meals that I would sit with diff groups of people and try to interact. They were quite fascinated and interested by my tales from Singapore, most had been there, some didnt know what it was, and I had real difficulty explaining that the capital of singapore was singapore!

Day 2 was presentation day, and surpringly, during the group discussions, I found myself daring to voice out, and the group basically listening! And I was like the leader of the group, and introduced and wrapped-up. Think it did me much good in terms of introducing myself to the people. Some of them thought I had been staying in Britain for quite a while alr! That night there was this quiz, which is unlike anything in Singapore. Basically we were in teams, and we had to guess beer bottles, logos, cartoons, and famous personailities! It's a completely diff culture, I could not make out almost everything, except for Tiger Beer, Honda, Ferrari, Pepsi, Snickers! , Sesame Street, Paddington Bear! Anyway, my group finished second last, but it was good fun. We should have something like that in Singapore. Seems childish at first, but it's really fun and brings out the children in all!

We also had the hike in the afternoon! It was during this that I had phone reception, as we walked out of the area. Aand it was dance time for MAF! It really was wonderful hearing from Yuesern, Haojie & Zhiqing! And i felt i missed MAF! I told the people on the hike abit of NS, they were quite fascinated that i've been in the army and police. I tink it makes them respect me !

That night, we went down to the bar to join the rest, and I did a few card techniques, and they were really enthralled by my stupid shuffling and simple tricks!I always knew these had a good purpose!

And this morning, we left for Cardiff. And this time, there were people inviting me to sit with them, and I sat with Jonathan of course! I guess the contrast in the going and coming back really tells the story.

I think as you read through this, it'll seem really childish to you! Issues like seating, presenting and everything! it all seems quite inconsequential and basic isnt it? To me, its really like learning how to be a human being all over again, learning how to mix around and everything! I feel like a Primary School student in Primary 1 all over again!

Things like gaining some friends and respect which I completely take for granted back home, suddenly seem so much less natural especially here where everyone is like drinking and I do not really do all that.

Its really hard for a small chinese boy to really stand his ground, haha but i guess, i'm slowly but surely making progress!

extracted and adapted from my email to Zq

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello cexiang :)
its great to hear about all that you're doing. take good care yeah?


nat!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello nat!!

it's really nice to hear from you! i'll take care! =p u must too!

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home