Friday, May 26, 2006

On Children & Family (Jacky Cheung)

This is taken from a Jacky Cheung interview.

"Looking back to when I was 40 , my daughter hasn't turn one yet. I've been told that I am a planner, welcoming a new life to the family at 40 seems like the perfect moment. Time-wise, it was indeed ideal, but if I get to choose all over again, I would rather have kids earlier. To become a parent at 40 seems to be too late.Sometimes I would think, when I am 60, my daughter had just turned 20, that is the age when she wishes to talk about her "hidden secrets" the most. I worry that by that time, I will not be the ideal listener for her. At her age now, she has a straightforward reaction towards everything and share everything with me, but afterall, we are 40 years apart. Just worry that when time comes, it will not be the same as now, I believe by then, I will be very sadden by this. As a parent, I've learnt a lot from my daughter too, I've learned the simplist thing, to be brave to tell someone you love them. I just realized that to tell the ones you love, you love them brings a relationship much closer. In the recent years, many have told me that I've become a "Family Man", the truth is if my daughter tells me through the telephone that she misses me or love me very much, I'll smile from within. With a daughter, I have a reason to hurry home, personally, I enjoy family life a lot.My childhood dream was to become a sailor, because my father was a sailor. He had become my role-model. At the same time I will remind myself that whatever I do, my daughter will pursue a similar path. Due to such concept in my mind, I believe that whatever I do nowadays, I must do with caution. Being a parent, I become aware that the accomplishment are much more than I could imagine. This is why I regreted becoming a father so late in life. If I could learn more earlier, I would be happy much earlier, isn't that much better?
I always tell her (daughter), not to be a sore loser. Many times I read/listen to the news, reporting kids of the new generation being unable to overcome defiance and decide to jump off a building to end their life. Life is precious, once a failure doesn't mean forever a failure, never give up. As a dad, I have struggles too.May Lo and I had been together for many years, marriage or not doesn't mean much to us. After having a kid, I sensed the wholeness in the family, thanks to Zoe, my life is fulfilled.Someone once asked if there was a difference before and after 40. I find that age-wise, it is not much different, I am clear of what will come ahead. I passed 40 without much fear and worries, but whether to have kids or not made a great difference. I recalled that before having Zoe, I was lost, I didn't know where I was going with my career. After having Zoe, I became practical. I hoped that my daughter will have a better understanding of my job. I showed her many videos and tapes of my work. Due to this special audience in my life, it made me more aware the necessity of a fresh start, Zoe had been a great inspiration. The earlier to become a father, the better.In my experience, having a kid doesn't affect the(your) career. If I was at the "striving" stage, I might consider bringing her with me to work. Family and career can both happen at once. Many of the new generation couples choose not to have babies, I want to tell them that a child is what makes a family whole, I would also convince them to have a kid if they wish to, and the earlier the better, don't consider too much.Someone asks me what my most successful accomplishment is to date, I smiled and said: "my daughter, of course", hopefully that is the answer that everyone would like to hear!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home