Tuesday, October 17, 2006

On Oxford

Oxford, my dream university. A dream that would be unfulfilled in this lifetime. Visiting it allowed me to understand why it was my dream university, it was my impression and more, but watching the freshers matriculate also gave me a tinge of 'what-could-have-been'. But my life has never been one for regrets, and regrets do not take away the beauty of a place and the people there.

Really thankful ro Zhaoqi who provided me with good comfortable accomodation in her house( which she shares with Xinhui, incidentally), toured me round so many Colleges, and was meticulous in providing all my meals, to Weisi for bringing me to lunch and touring LMH, Kahyin for tea at Keble and the most precious and delicious mooncake, and the mahjong kahkis for a good night of memorable mahjong. I do not think I ever was a good classmate to any of them, and their hospitability really does move me. It's nice to be appreciative.

The unique nature of Oxford lies in the College structures, each self-sustained, ie. with accomodation, dining hall, chapel, gardens of varying sizes, plus academic rooms all inside. The buildings, architecture, portraits, gardens all give a very classical and traditional feel which I really like. The tutorial system of 2 students to 1 teacher is really productive as true intellectual discussion can take place. (compared to the 14 students to 1 teacher in Cardiff where nothing really gets done)But that being said, what I've truly grasped is that the pursuit of knowledge cannot be limited by space or time.

These weekend getaways do allow me to really relax in comfort zone, which I think is truly essential for a balanced life. Thanks so much all who made it possible!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home