Thursday, April 19, 2007

Easter Retreat - Calgary, Alberta (4)

My final full day in Calgary was spent walking around Chinatown and downtown. Unlike Chicago, where Chinatown is located in the less prosperous and glamorous South of the city, the Chinatown of Calgary actually fronts the entire Downtown area. In fact, the archway bridge into downtown is guarded by four white stone Chinese lions. Having a population of 100,000 Chinese, it is no surprise that the Chinese have a huge impact and influence in Calgary. There are even more Chinese in Toronto and Vancouver, which has produced many Miss Hong Kong’s and TVB stars. I think that is why I have always had a very good impression of Canada. If only it weren’t so far away from Singapore, or even Cardiff. Granduncle parked his car at various hills around and overlooking downtown, and again, I felt that the people living in these areas had such a perfect view every morning of the tall skyscrapers right before them, and the Rockies in the background. Granduncle said that most properties cost around 150,000 USD when he first arrived in Calgary, and were now all worth millions. Canada is such a livable city, even their newspaper the Calgary Herald has an entire section dedicated to City Planning issues such as urban design, transportation etc. It gave me the impression that Calgarians were very well educated on their City and its changes.

But the highlight of this day, was a visit to B.J’s Gym. As some may not know, my only-ever idol in wrestling is Bret Hart who originates from Calgary. He is part of the Hart family, which includes Owen Hart (his brother) and the British Bulldog (brother-in-law). His father, Stu Hart is the legendary patriarchy of the family and was a wrestling tour operator in the 70s. The Harts had a wrestling ring in their basement where many top wrestlers first trained, and got into the business. The Hart house was sold recently but a son-in-law of Stu Hart opened a wrestling gym in downtown, and this is B.J’s Gym. Knowing that I was a fan of Bret Hart, granduncle went into the gym with me. A very friendly young guy came to us at the door and granduncle told him of my interest. He invited us in quite readily but seemed a little blur at first, so much so that I suspected if the gym had anything to do with the Harts at all. Upon entry, all my doubts were erased immediately. All over the gym, were signed photographs, cards from Bret, and his brothers to B.J, as well as Stu Hart. These were obviously transported over from the old wrestling basement. And to my amazement, the guy bringing us around was a grandson of Stu Hart, i.e. Bret’s nephew! I was really quite uncomfortable at first when he called names like Bret, Stu, Davey-Boy off his tongue as if he knew them well. But he more than knew them well, they were his relatives! The biggest coincidence was that granduncle’s friend, was actually the family doctor and close family friend of the Harts! B.J’s son (Matt Amis) brought us around the gym, including a view of the wrestling ring, (a wrestling class was on and they were warming-up). It was literally a tour of possibly wrestling’s greatest family, with many childhood photographs. I had to constantly remind myself that this wasn’t some museum tour with the curator showing us around, but rather, a young man showing me his family.

Just as we were about the leave, we were introduced to another of Stu’s grandchildren – the son of the British Bulldog and Diana Hart, Harry Smith. He is already a WWE wrestler and I was quite taken aback when the guy brining us around introduced us to him. My first thoughts were however what to say as I knew his dad had passed away a few years back due to overdose of steroids. I acted matter-of-fact, ‘Oh, I thought you have signed on with the WWE?” He was more than friendly, and started explaining how he had done a few non-televised shows for them, but since then they had no immediate plans for him on the televised roster and had told him to go home, while still paying him. Both granduncle and I wished him all the best. I am quite sure he will go on to be WWE champion one day and wrestle in front of tens of thousands of people, and I will remember this day, when we spoke so casually on a Tuesday afternoon as almost friends. He is about my age anyways, and seemed like just any kid I have met in the US or UK.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home