Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Break In Between - Bjorn & Rhosili


In the ten days between my 2 exam papers, I decided that I would take a short break and ease my brain. Thus, I invited Bjorn(who had finished his exams) over to Cardiff. We spent the first day walking around Cardiff. I realised having brought so many people around, and having walked around myself quite a bit, I was really quite able to show him many different parts of Cardiff. The night was spent talking. We talked from ten till about three in the morning. There seemed to be so much to talk about, sharing our experiences in the last 4 years since we left Hwa Chong, and then reminiscing our times and teachers in Raffles, and HC. I wouldn't say we ever were the closest of friends, but the quantity of time spent together, coupled with the quality of life we experienced, made for a night of many stories and memories.


I then planned a trip west to the Gower Peninsular in Swansea to view what was voted last year as one of Britain's finest sight. Rhosili Bay isn't your major international tourist attraction, nothing much in Wales actually is, perhaps overshadowed by England, or continental Europe. However, it has always intrigued me to go to these lesser none places of outstanding beauty, where there are fewer tourists, but more of unspoiled nature. You get more the feeling of being an adventurer than a tourist.


Rhosili Bay is quite a picture of rolling hills, meeting the sea across a long and wide stretch of sandy bay, with a little island Worm's Head in the distance, and rocky cliffs at one end of the bay. I never am able to describe scenery well, and will leave the pictures to do the talking. Perhaps the biggest regret of the trip, was out inability to cross over the Worm's Head. This was due to the high tide, covering up the pebbled causeway. We were about half an hour late and got as far as 200m from the island, before we had to turn back. Why the regret? They are seals and seal pups on the island! And I missed my opportunity to see seals in the wild for the first time. What a waste!


However, one really can have no complains about the view and sense of exhilaration one feels upon reaching, seeing and feeling Rhosili. The hour's train ride from Cardiff to Swansea, and then another hour's bus ride from Swansea City Centre to the coast, was all worth it. By the time I got back to Cardiff, and Bjorn returned to London, while physically, my legs were worn out, mentally, my brain was refreshed and ready to mount my final ascent of the year. June 1st 2007, my final paper in Year One. Marx and the Frankfurt School.


And in four days from now, I will be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home