Thursday, February 07, 2008

Remebering a Chinese New Year of Yesteryear

This will be the second CNY that I am not spending with my family in Singapore, also the second year that my family is spending without my mum. As the world moves into a New Year, I thought I would spend some time to pen down my recollections of my Chinese New Years' before 2007.

There would be half-day of school on the eve of CNY. School would basically be made up of celebrations in the hall with performances by the Chinese dance and musical groups, and we students would exchange greetings among ourselves and with our teachers. At that time, I would often wonder how my classmates would spend their CNY, because my CNY would revolve completely within my family for the next few days. After school, we would go down to my Grandmother's place, where the ancestral prayers would be held. In between the praying, I would go and sleep. Then, it would be time for the steamboat reunion dinner, with the suckling pig, prosperity fish and vegetables. We would discussions whether the pig, crabs were better this year than the last. And then, rise to the occassion with loud cheers of Huat ah! On CNY Eve, Channel 8 would normally show some Jackie Chan flick, which we would normally watch again before going home. Grandma would give us our red packets which we use to shou shui(put under the pillow and sleep on for the night). Both aunties would give us the special edition mint coins of the year, and uncle would present us with his red packet.

At home, my mum would continue the spring cleaning with the maid, my dad would begin the prayers, and I would jump around assisting both, before settling down into the couch with my siblings to watch the CNY countdown on Channel 8. I think I never missed a single one. The house lights would be on through the night, and I would try to sleep as late as possible. It says it brings one's parents good health and a longer life, I found it quite nice to stay awake and imagine the world staying awake too.

On the morning of the first day, my siblings and I would wake up, and present 2 oranges each to Dad and Mum and receive ang baos in return. Thereafter, the family would gather around the dining table for Tang Yuan. Then, we set off back to Grandmother's place for a new round of Xin Nian Kuai Le! Wan Shi Ru Yi! Shen Ti Jian Kang! Gong Xi Fa Cai! After a simple lunch, we would head to our maternal Grandmother's house to visit and give our greetings. Most of the other aunties and uncles and cousins would also be gathered here, and it would be very busy. We would have a special mee sua for lunch, and then there would normally be a lion dance performance in the sprawling gardens. Some years, we would be late and miss the show. We would spend the afternoon there, playing with our other cousins, which was always very enjoyable. We would return to my paternal grandmother's house for dinner before returning home.

The second day would be the relative visiting day, as we travelled from Pasir Ris to Alexandra to Woodlands to greet the relatives of both sides. It was always quite a tiring process, and often as a young child, I found it quite boring since there wasnt much to do at these places as compared to my grandmother's house where we could play with the cousins. Yet, I also found it nice, to meet these relatives as it really was once-in-a year. To me, that made it more precious and important, maybe to others, it becomes somewhat pointless. But I thought, CNY was not about renewing ties, it was about letting yourself know your heritage, your roots, your relatives. And that was why it was special. Every redpacket I would keep, because it symbolized the well wishes to me, and I always treasured that. The money I would pass to mum who would bank into our accounts, but the red packets were always more meaningful to me. I now own an entire collection of the various designs of red packets over the years. And I think they bring me luck and happines above all. Because, with so many people wishing you such good wishes year after year, how can you not be lucky if you appreciated each and everyone of them?

The night of the second day would always be fun. We would return to out paternal grandmother's house and there, all the relatives would be gathered for the feast my aunty would prepare. I enjoyed seeing everyone, and even just sitting there, it was always nice to be part of a big and happy family. The third day of the New Year is my maternal grandfather's birthday and this would be celebrated over a lunch or dinner. Again, a good chance to meet my cousins, aunts, uncles and importantly, to wish my grandfather a wonderful year and good health! We would also be responsible for the birthday cake! And then the next day, I would reluctantly return to school, not because I dreaded school, but because, the New Year celebrations were over, and somehow, I would feel a little empty and lonely.

2008. My grandmother, and uncle and aunty are now staying with us. My mother and maternal grandmother have left us. I am studying in the UK. And suddenly, I realise that all my above memories have become a part of CNY history to me. As I try hard to keep my life the same year after year, it only gets increasingly harder. Sometimes, I wonder why people always seem to want change, always are unsatisfied with what they have. Yet, whatever I can keep the same, I will. I still look forward to hear or see from my family and relatives, be it only on webcam. I still put my grandmother's red packet under my pillow when I sleep. I still get my sister to keep all my hong baos. And I still wish and remember every single one I know, and who know me, the same blessings that I have been wishing all these years..Xin Nian Kuai Le! Wan Shi Ru Yi! Shen Ti Jian Kang! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Maybe for some, the more you repeat these greetings, the more meaningless they become. But for me, the more I repeat it, the more I believe they will come true, for everyone. Many a great person have said that the only constant is change. And we will always hope that change brings us to the better, or that we make the best use of change. But for me, the only constant is love and tradition. And that is why, the Chinese New Year was invented and celebrated. To give us, the opportunity to remember all the hands we once held. To give us, the practices and rituals that we carry on year after year for a sense of constantcy. To give us, the chance to wish together, that the New Year will bring good changes. Yet, it you do not hold on doggedly to love and tradition, obviously it is all going to change. But if you do, you will realise that there are many beautiful memories still that will go on forever in spirit, as you repeat new years with the same practices and maybe new people, but still remember the people that previous years were made together with.

And with that, I wish you Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r amazing

3:04 PM  
Blogger xiangZ said...

i just re-read the article and i find it quite amazing too HAHAHA

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home