Monday, October 23, 2006

On A Trip to Swansea

Today, I made a trip with Aunty Susan (whom my dad met during his time in Cardiff) & her husband Bernard, to meet their friend Dee, who is a sprightly 80+ year old lady and happens to be a former magistrate in Cardiff.

I will discuss Swansea first. Swansea is supposedly the next largest county/city in Wales after Cardiff, it has its fair share of mid-height apartments(more than Cardiff I think), as well as many cottage-residence, but these are situated in a very haphazard style. It is by the sea, and Aunt Dee lives along the stretch of the famous Gower. However, while the rain and mist engulfed the coastline, one could only think about the potential beauty of the place under right weather conditions.

Next, and more importantly, the visit. It was essentially my first British experience - having British tea,lunch,snacks, and partaking in British conversation. The food was very sumptuous, for a lady of her age to prepare a wide spread of beef, vegetables, cake, bread pudding & cheese, that is really impressive. I ate 3 days worth of food just by being there. (And Dee gave me a box of buicuits as well! ) The attention given to the arrangement of cutlery did not fail to leave an impression on me. As a good guest, I washed the dishes, more of true intention than a matter of politeness though, as it would Dee the trouble of doing it alone (her legs arent too good).

Conversation was the bit that did surprise me. They've a different culture from ours, but the general themes of gossiping about other people, about politics, and about the house are all familiar, and I found myself understanding and contributing to most of their conversations! It's nice to be able to assimilate and realise that the world, or rather humans can have so many similarities that we share between us. The decorum at the dining table was a good contrast to the free-speaking idle chat, which did include more than a few bouts of racism.

It was a truly wonderful experience. A different idea of a home.Imagine spending a rainy Sunday afternoon, with a British family, and not feeling Chinese! Not something I would want to live in, but something you adapt to, and realise that it might not be so different. I will term it, 'the comfort zone outside the comfort zone'. And basically, humanity & hospitability work hand in hand to produce this effect.

This weekly visit to Susan's, my Monopoly games on Fridays, my weekly retreats to various part of the UK to meet fellow Singaporeans does give me a very balanced life. And that in turn spurs academic and intellectual desire. But home, always is the basis of everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home