Monday, February 19, 2007

Surprise Surprise!

On the second day of the New Year, I must share with everyone an event that really lifted my spirits, and brightened the night! In anticipation of a Skype conversation with my relatives to take place later in the day, I was on MSN at 2am (UK). I randomly wished one of my primary school classmates, Benjamin (who went on to RI too), Happy New Year! Apparently, he was asleep and his brother replied. His brother is 10 years old.

As I found his brother rather chatty, I decided to establish a conversation with him. I then realised that he most probably went to the Pri Sch I and Ben went to, which is RSS. So I asked him which class he was in. And then, it occurred to me, that in my relief teaching days last year, I might have taught him. So I asked him if he knew a Mr Foo. (He obviously doesnt'know who I am) He responded imediately, " yes, my relieve teacher last year. thin and wear spectacles. very funny. "

I was pleasantly surprised. But that was not it. He then went on. "Mr Foo taught me Bar Graphs in P3, and he said it was for stupid people to understand and compare numbers." I think I could feel my heart stop for the moment. How on earth could he remember all that! Who ever remembers a relief teacher, who steps into the class for only 1 day, much less what he teaches, and says! After more than 6 months later, that is. And I always thought children below the age of 12 have a very short-term memory.

I do not know what I have done as a teacher. Left little children thinking bar graphs are for the stupid?! But I was very touched. Perhaps he will remember this relief teacher when he is in JC/Uni doing Stastistics, and wonder to himself, 'That Mr Foo! He said bar graphs were for stupid people, why am I still looking at them now! And why do they seem rather difficult!'

(This incident set forth lots of questions in me which I actually typed, but I will post them another day when I sort out my thoughts. )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home