Sunday, December 03, 2006

On My Remembrance of the Early 90s


In the early 1990s ,I was a little, mischievous(around people I knew, where I was comfortable) but shy boy. (6- about 9 years old) At that time, my mum was working in Thong Hiap Holdings(owned by my grandfather, selling various branded watched like Rolex) along Bras Basah Road. I was registered for Chinese Speech & Drama Lessons every Saturday, near People's Park. Every week, after my lessons, my mum would accompany me in my uncle's Mercedes back to the Shop where I wound spend the rest of the afternoon. I was entertained by the staff showing me magic tricks (really juvenile ones which already thrilled me tremendously), or just running around "irritating" everyone. At that time, I was always curiously looking at everything around me in the car, the tall buildings, etc. Nothing failed to excite me, and I would give running commentaries of everything I saw, and everyone in the car would laugh. I think this period was how the me today, had roots in. Soon after, my speech and drama lessons ended, and my mum would retire to take care of us at home full-time.

Somehow, this song was very famous during that period. It also reminds me of the time when my Great-grandmother stayed with us, for about a month. My mum was extremely filial to this grandmother of hers, and it rubbed off me as well. We were watching television one night in the room with my grandmother, and it was the 1994 NKF Charity Show, and Jacky Cheung was the guest and this was the theme song for the event he performed.

The last events this song reminds me of, would be the Sundays spent at my Grandfather's place in Kwong Ave. It was 2 big bungalows with a swimming pool, jacuzzi & a KTV room. Soon after, all these were no more. But the memories, the sitting by the poolside, the playing basketball, the singing in the room. I think I am fortunate to have lived through it, more fortunate, to remember it with a smiling heart.

If in the end, we will lose everything we have, then when we lose it is not important. What is important, is that we lived, cherised & remembered.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey cx, a surprise entry by me. Agree with your statement there. The only constant in this world is changes, and I believe that nothing will stay the same. The only thing that stays is the beautiful memories, the good times spent. Look forward to your return in Singapore, relive some of the good times again ya?

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home