Saturday, June 03, 2006

On Feeling Ashamed

I was going home from JC once via bus 67. At one of the stops, a lady who suffered from Parkinson's and with many growths on her face boarded the bus. My immediate feeling was one of disgust, and fear. I simply wanted to keep away from her as far as possible. I could see others in the bus cowering away from her as well. Instead of getting angry with everyone, the lady said, " Sorry, I will be going down at the next stop." I was so sad when I heard her say that. Here was a lady who was already suffering from all her illnesses, and yet, she had to feel apologetic about it for causing discomfort to others. I found it so tragic, and ironic. At the same time, I was so ashamed of myself for my earlier thoughts of disgust.It did not matter that I actually had known shown my disgust with her, the mere fact that I had harboured such feeling was bad enough.

Many people are ashamed of their lack of brains or looks. For me, I am only ashamed of my lack of heart. You cannot change your brains, or your looks, nor can you ever have the best brains or the best looks in the world. But you can change your heart, and you can have the best heart in the world!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor lady...hope ..others wud threat her better nxt time after hearin her words!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

waaa u so bad but too bad over liao...n u take bus 67?

3:42 PM  
Blogger xiangZ said...

i did. no longer.

4:01 PM  
Blogger poh said...

sometimes we get caught up with the superficial aspect of life...then we start to treat each other base on that...ignoring the need to communciate with our heart and soul...

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home