Sunday, October 28, 2007

In Tribute - David Liao Xiangping

In a few hours time, my fellow HCJC 29th student councillor David Liao will be cremated till eternal peace. When I learnt from Meina two weeks ago that David had been admitted into a hospice for colon cancer, my shock was not at the cancer, but at the hospice. Cancer just isnt surprising anymore, and I never did nor do I now, fear it. It is completely curable, with early detection, support, heart and soul. But I knew when it came to the stage of the hospice, it could only be a matter of time, when I would lose a friend, of my age. Yuting called the next night and was obviously very affected, and then Yisheng told me online that a few of the councillors planned to visit him soon. After the visit, I heard from Joel that David was very tired and obviously fragile when the few of them went down to see him. And then yesterday morning, I received an MSN message from Yisheng informing me David had passed away. Yun Ching and Xingyi also informed me subsequently by phone and text.

To be honest, David wasnt in my closer circle within the Council, since he wasnt in SnR and seldom joined us for soccer. Our only true interaction was only when I worked under him in MAFCO (Mid-Autumn Festival Committee). He was my Committee Chairperson. I think what everyone would remember, would be his wonderful passion for the event, his intense commitment to make sure it turned out more than good, but to be the best ever. I liked his speeches, his unflinching optimism and drive, his recognition of trying times, his perserverence, and I shared with him, his dream to make the event a truly unforgettable one. With respect to all the other working committees Chairpersons, I think David embodied his event more than anyone else did for theirs. To the normal spectator, MAF may have been many lanterns, or the flying arrow-flame light up, or the fireworks sparklers. But ask anyone of the 29th, and they will tell you, MAF 2002 was about one man and his passion - David, our dearest Comm Chair.

It's a pity, that amongst the multi-facets of his life, his many images and actions, I can only recollect MAF, simply for a lack of interaction with David. But I thought, it would be good to put it down in writing, after all, different parts of the puzzle form the complete jigsaw of any life, any story, any legacy. 22 years, is really a short time, too short to form a family, too short to have a career. But admist all these regrets and frustrations, I hope David knows, that 22 years, was enough for him, to bring immense joy and countless memories to his family and friends. And yet still enough, to touch even a stranger as he recreated thousands of memories for all the people that attended MAF 2002.

And though you may not be able to reply us now, " DAVID KE BAH BAH! " Your voice and smile will resonate in my mind.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home