Sunday, November 12, 2006

On London



I never expected myself to like London this much. My impression of cities have never been good, I do not like crowds, I do not like tall buildings cramped together. But London is that, and still some more. My favourite 2 places in London would have to be Trafalgar Square & the Millenium Bridge.

The sense of colour in Trafalgar Square is wonderful, White & Blue; the contrast in the elements evident, Concrete & Water; the essence of space & people in its element. There are many tourists at the Square, but its grandeur and size does make the tourist become yet another attraction. Millenium Bridge is an altogether different experience, it is my favourite bridge over the River Thames. Ín one word, it is sleek. I have always had a fondness for things and people petite. Yet, this is counterposed against a very mechanical steel structure which is very assuring. And the combined effects of both is basically the feeling of gliding over the Thames! I never thought I would prefer modern architecture over ancient (i.e. Tower Bridge)I think the sense of solitude( I walked down the Thames alone in the morning), actually adds to the atmosphere, but there would always be people I wished were next to me sharing the experience!

The next captivating thing about London are the buskers at the Tube stations, there is at least 1 busker at every station, and many along the River Thames, and yet, all produce really beautiful music. Walking down the Thames alone to Paccabel, rushing down escalators to Japanese Pop; it does make the experience more surreal. I think we could try to initate such a culture in Singapore, set up a professional Busking Training Academy for the jobless! Simple tunes, simple acts can go a very long way.

But London would not be complete, without my friends (this is getting really repititive, but a fact's a fact). I've actually stayed at 3 different areas in London, Hamstead on my first visit, and this time, Islington with Andre, & Tower Hill with Sherwayn, add to that the visit to Bryan & Justin's place at Camden, I've actaully been around London quite abit on my own.

If my departure from Singapore in September was a time-wrap of my life thus far, London provided a second mini-version of this. I met my RI classmates at Covent for dinner, met my cousin for dinner at Leicester Square, met my HC classmates for lunch at Camden & met various HC Councillors over a few occasions. The world does seem small in London, a direct contrast from Cardiff. But as I was so happy to meet so many familiar faces, I also began to appreciate the quietude I enjoy in Cardiff, even with the slight loneliness that might come with it. And yet, I think it is this very contrast that allowds me to enjoy these travels more, and not getting tired of meeting people.

I would consider this visit to London as the most detailed one of all I've been on thus far. Thanks to the wonderful people, Andre (I hope you have managed to finish your essay!), Sherwayn( it was a very good conversation, wasn't it?), Yang Wen (thanks for trying so hard to make time for me even though your cold eventually got the better of you), and my cousin Genevieve (nothing beats meeting relatives overseas, honestly)

I will leave all of you London, in pictures(click to vieww enlarged) and 2 short videos(click to play), both at Trafalgar Square. Enjoy!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home